Scratch is ALWAYS better than opening a box of powdered mix that has been sitting on a grocery store shelf for who-know-how-long right? If you stock a few basic ingredients at home you can bake just about anything from scratch. And this recipe isn’t even really baking because you are doing it in the microwave!
Small batch brownies that are served warm, and ooze with caramel, nuts and peanut butter… What’s even better I make mine with dark cocoa for that extra WOW factor…
This post, and my brownies, are adapted from a Pampered Chef recipe that calls for a boxed brownie mix.
So let’s start with the basics of a scratch brownies… Check out the recipe and then skip ahead to the good stuff… how to make these 5-minute microwave brownies!
How to make scratch (homemade) brownies:
Scratch Brownie Mix Ingredients
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I like dark)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
Scratch Brownies Directions:
- Sift together dry ingredients.
- Add in wet ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Pour into greased 8″ pan.
- Bake on 350 for 20-22 minutes.
Now let’s kick it up a notch and throw in the caramel, the peanut butter and ditch the oven and use the microwave… Are you ready? I use a 6″ x 9″ Small Rectangular Baker from Pampered Chef, it’s the perfect size, and the stoneware helps the heat distribute evenly for better cooking.
For the Peanut Butter Caramel Brownies you will need:
- 10 snack size Snickers candy bars (not 8, not 12, but 10!)
- 3 Tbsp of Peanut Butter
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 Tbsp Canola Oil
- 1 Egg
To make the 5-minute microwave brownies:
- Use ONLY the dry ingredients portion from the scratch brownie mix above (flour, sugar, salt, cocoa, baking powder) and sift together.
- Add in the water, egg and oil and mix until combined.
- Spritz the stone with oil or brush lightly (I use the Pampered Chef Kitchen Spritzer).
- Set the 10 snack size Snickers in the pan, distributing evenly to ensure perfect bites every time.
- Pour the batter over the Snickers.
- Scoop 3 Tbsp of Peanut Butter down the middle in dollops, distributing evenly. I use the Pampered Chef Small Stainless Scoop.
- Microwave uncovered on high for 4-6 minutes, or until edges are firming up.
- Carefully remove brownies from microwave and let stand in the pan for at least 10 minutes before cutting. (Yah gotta let the caramel and peanut butter set, but trust me they will still be ooey gooey delish!)
I have actually used the FULL Scratch recipe over the Snickers and that does work too, but they turn out better with the dry ingredients from the scratch mix, and Pampered Chef’s way of doing the wet add-ins.
One of 2 things will happen when you make these brownies… Your family will scream for more because they are THAT good… or your waistline will scream at you to stop because they are THAT good!